Now displaying: August, 2017
Two teachers from Bassett Unified School District in La Puente, California, talking about Technology Integration, giving ideas, troubleshooting, talking about SAMR and why we need tech in classrooms. This was a great way to get PD out to our teachers and we thought we should share it with everyone. Here it is. Visit our district page here: www.bassettusd.org and our resources at www.tomtalksabout.com
Aug 30, 2017
Episode 48 Updates Galore
App Reviews and Updates
FlipGrid news for Microsoft Office 365
Embedding of Grids into OneNote Classroom
Aug 24, 2017
- Podcasting apps
- Anchor Our friends over at FSD Innovation Ann, Pablo, Jason and Wes started a Podcast just last week on this fairly new app called Anchor https://anchor.fm/fsdinnovation
- Anchor is a Podcasting App that allows you get up and running in no time. The handles a lot of the hassles that can come with publishing your Podcast for listeners.
- Why switch to Anchor?
- 💾 Free, unlimited podcast hosting
- 📱 100% mobile creation (in a new, fun format)
- 🤓 No need to touch an RSS feed, ever
- ☎️ Built-in phone call recording
- 🤙 Call-ins from your listeners
- 😀 Tons of other unique, interactive features
- Anchor instantly converts all recorded audio into rich, colorful videos that play seamlessly on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and any other platform that supports video.
- Instead of “liking" a segment in Anchor, you can actually applaud it (and if your phone is locked and in your pocket, you can applaud just by knocking on the back of your phone).
- Anchor gives you the ability to add full length tracks from Apple Music or Spotify, pull in external audio clips, and add high quality interludes from world-class musicians and sound designers.
- Podcasts Plus People
- Hear something that’s just too good to keep to yourself? Share it with your followers. Chorus is the place where you 😂 😭 and 🙌 your favorite podcasts with friends.
- SGVCUE innovation celebration
- B4UT- Beginning of the year set up
- plug it in
- take photographs
- recruit help from kids
Aug 17, 2017
- Tech Updates
- Flipgrid www.flipgrid.com
- New integration with several apps like Classroom and OneNote
- New ways to give feedback, you can create your own rubrics, 1-10
- Padlet on Flipgrid Ideas. bit.ly/FGideas
- EdPuzzle www.edpuzzle.com
- Premade Videos and questions
- easier interface and integration options.
- Interview with SGVCUE board members
- Upcoming Innovation Celebration www.sgvcue.org
- Alice Keeler Event
- Coffee Cues and Road Shows
- New ways to participate with your affiliate,
- Free membership for 2017/2018 (until March 18) www.cue.org/membership
- Apple IOS updates
- Siri Translations- ELD teachers rejoice
- Screen Recording- great for process and how to videos
- Files app- No longer a secret where your files are, this helps with saving, structuring and sharing.
- True Multitasking- I can't remember a time when i was only doing a task that only needed one app. App smashing is very popular, and help in this area will be awesome
- AR- building in a framework ad functionality should make AR, already one of the fastest growing spaces in technology, even more prominent. Possibilities are endless, and applications for this tech stretch across all subject areas.
Aug 11, 2017
- Lone Nuts, found a community, grown as educators
- Bounce ideas, get inspiration, awe in the awesomeness of our twitter friends, connect with people from down the street, over the hill, and even across the state.
- Thanks to: Ryan O"Donnell and Bryan Briggs
- John Eick, Roland Aichele
- Ben Cogswell, Cate Tolnai, Lindsey Blass, #ConnectedTL, #TOSAChat
- Ann Kozma, Pablo Diaz
- New things for this year
- Summertime Fun!
- Books Read
- Code in Every Class By Kevin Brookhouser and Ria Megnin
- The case for coding in the classroom-misconception,
- The demand
- diversifying in tech or the lack there of
- all teachers can code
- engaging students with coding
- buy-in from admin and site
- building your knowledge of coding
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 2005
- Sci-Fi novel that takes place in the year 2044. If you grew up in the 1980's or are just a fan this is the book for you. This eccentric billion Halliday dies and in his will he leaves his fortune up to the first person that can find an easter egg in the game he invented called the Oasis . Music, video games, movies memory lane
- Kicking myself for not reading this book earlier.
- Lead Like a Pirate
- Conferences attended
- Fun Had
©Tom Covington & Michael Jephcott